Halfway Responds To House Fire On Box 26-2
Nov 17, 2022
On the afternoon of November 17th, Halfway was alerted at 08:28 on Box 26-2 for a house fire at 11020 Hickory School Road. Washington County advised they had reports of a basement fire. Engine 261 arrived with heavy smoke coming from the chimney and the eves of the house. Homeowner met firefighters and confirmed there was a fire in the basement. The first attack line was pulled and stretched to the front door and a second crew stretched a second line to the back of the structure.
Deputy Chief 2 arrived and assumed Command and worked with DES Command Staff to form a plan of attack and control operations. Firefighters were faced with a heavy fire load in the basement which was beginning to burn through the first floor. Command called for the evacuation of the crew on the first floor as firefighters made entry to a garage entrance in the back of the building. Within minutes crews were able to get a knock on the fire.
Firefighters were committed on the scene for several hours conducting overhaul operations and assisting the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, but four occupants of the home were displaced by the blaze. They are currently receiving assistance from the American Red Cross. The State Fire Marshals were able to deem the cause of the fire to be accidental as the result of a malfunctioning power strip in a bedroom located in the basement.
Halfway was assisted that day by Williamsport Fire & EMS, Hagerstown Fire Department, Funkstown Fire Company, Longmeadow Fire Company, Maugansville Goodwill Fire Company, Bedington Volunteer Fire Company, Community Rescue Service, Washington County Division of Emergency Services, and Washington County Emergency Support Services.