Halfway Responds To Find Food on The Stove
September 6, 2023
On the afternoon of September 6th, Halfway crews responded for a reported House Fire on Roessner Avenue. Our crews arrived to find heavy smoke condition in the house. Chief 26 immediately established command and requested the safety assignment. Firefighters from Halfway made entry into the house. Firefighters found unattended food on the stove with no active fire. Firefighters removed the pot with the burnt food and began ventilating the residence. Luckily no injuries were reported.
Halfway would like to remind everyone that any stove top cooking should always be attended. Nearly half of all residential structure fires in the United States begin in the kitchen. Statistics show 31% of those are due to unattended cooking. We were lucky that we arrived quickly before we had a working kitchen fire. All our crews had to do was ventilate the smoke causing mainly some minor smoke damage. Remember that the smoke alone is extremely toxic in situations like what our crews found that day. Especially to small pets and children. This incident is a reminder of the importance of practicing fire safety while cooking. So please remember to always stay in the kitchen when cooking! We don’t want you becoming another statistic.